How to get here
Its strategic location and excellent infrastructures make San Sebastián a place easy to reach from anywhere in the world, no matter what your method of transport. Choose the one that suits you best and get travelling!
San Sebastián has 3 airports (2 international) within just over 100 km of the city.
Only 20 kilometers from the city centre, San Sebastián Airport has connections to the major Spanish cities; Madrid and Barcelona.
Bilbao Airport, with connections to all Europe, is 105km from the city, and Biarritz Airport, served by French and international low-cost companies, 47km.
Getting to San Sebastián by car is extremely easy. The city is connected to the rest of Spain and France by the N-1 (the national highway connecting Madrid to Irun), the AP-8 (Bilbao-Irun) and A-63 (Paris-Irun) motorways and the A-15 highway (Pamplona-San Sebastián).
Once in San Sebastián, you can leave your car in one of the more than 6,000 parking places found in different parts of the city.
You can park on the street but only on TAO / OTA blue areas where parking is limited by time.
- More information: Where do I park in San Sebastian?
The train station in the centre of San Sebastián, the "Estación del Norte", offers connections to numerous Spanish cities including Madrid and Barcelona, and to international destinations such as Paris and Lisbon.
Train journeys to and from San Sebastián will gain enormously in speed with the new Tren de Alta Velocidad (high speed train), due to connect the city with other destinations in the near future.
There is also an underground railway, the Metro Donostialdea, a narrow-gauge train connection with Bilbao and cities along the Basque Coast, such as Zarautz. The service linking it also Hendaye (France) and the SNCF, french rail service, with Lasarte passing through Donostia. The train is popularly known as the "Topo" or "Mole".
The San Sebastian new bus station has lines to cities throughout Spain and part of Europe.
The underground station has 21 bays, a café, newsstand and a left luggage office with 66 lockers where you can leave your belongings. It also has two floors of parking space for up to 384 vehicles.
Eight of the city’s Dbus routes will stop in the area around the station: the lines 17, 24, 37 and 45 in front of Renfe train station; 9, 41, 42 at Duque de Mandas street and 27 in María Cristina bridge.
Private cars that need to leave or take friends and relatives at the bus station can use the ESTACIÓN underground parking 15 minutes for free.
In addition to national and international routes such as those from Madrid, Barcelona, Santander, Asturias, Logroño, Pamplona, Bayonne - Biarritz or Paris the following provincial routes also have their departure / arrival at the new bus station:
- DO01 Bilbao – Zarautz - Donostia / San Sebastián
- DO02 Vitoria/Gasteiz – Zarautz - Donostia / San Sebastián
- DO03 Bilbao – Zumarraga - Donostia / San Sebastián
- DO50B Aeropuerto Bilbao-Loiu – Zarautz - Donostia / San Sebastián
- DB02 Ermua – Donostia / San Sebastián
- DB03 Lekeitio - Donostia / San Sebastián
- DG07 Eskoriatza - Donostia / San Sebastián
- UK01 Azkoitia – Loiola – Azpeitia – Zestoa – Donostia
En superficie, concretamente en la calle Federico García Lorca, nº 2, paran las siguientes líneas:
- E21 Hondarribia – Aireportua - Donostia
- UK09 Zumaia – Donostia (N634)
- UK10 Zumaia – Zarautz – Donostia (AP8)
HOW TO DROP OFF AND PICK UP PASSENGERS OF PRIVATE BUSES IN DONOSTIA / SAN SEBASTIÁN
Private buses coming to Donostia / San Sebastian must enter the new underground Bus Station (Pº Federico García Lorca, 1) in order to drop off and pick up passengers. It is forbidden to do it in any other place of the city.
The operating rules are as follows:
- Each “service”, that is, each entrance to drop off or to pick up, costs 10 € + 12% Tax = 12,10 € per coach.
- This allows 15 – 20 minutes at the platform
- The entrance to the Station is through the lane marked BUS, and at the entrance, a platform number would be assigned and a ticket given, to consequently make the payment in the payment machines located at -1 floor.
- After the 20 minutes, coaches must leave the Station.
It is highly recommended to book the platform in advance at the station.
The booking can be made through:
- the reservation form on Donostia Bus Station web site: www.estaciondonostia.com
- Sending an email to email@example.com
- Via + 34 943 47 51 50 phone number
- Directly at the station
The coach can be freely parked on a suitable place behind Garbera Commercial Centre, at the east side of the town. (43°18'33"N 1°56'42"W).
This commercial centre is connected by buses 33, 24 & 27 of the DBus bus company